Hi, I am back of holidays and today I had the chance to sew all day! Yipeee, I missed sewing when I was away but I think my posture might be better :)
Ok, I got this really cute skirt from my Mum and although I loved it, it did not love me, too much material around my hips. So when looking through my stash I found some heavy stretch jersey that was just the right colour to match the skirt.
I thought about it and this is what came out of my mind...
I am short waisted and so suit empire-line or dropped waists... I have tonnes of empire-line and no dropped waists so I thought I would make one.
The skirt had some really cute covered buttons on an existing placket so i keep that as it was, I thought it could go onto the top part of the dress. the skirt was a drawstring waist so I pulled out the cord with the pretty flowers on the end and then unpicked the waist band and put that aside too.
I then went about making the bodice of the dress from the jersey from my sloper. I had to follow some instructions to turn my bodice into a dart-less bodice for knit. For my first attempt i was quite pleased.
The neck line was high so I lowered it as I knew i wanted to make that placket into a bib and use the waistband to cover the raw edge on the neck.
I was lucky as the skirt was gored so i left a panel on each side of the placket, interfaced it and then placed it on the neck edge to shape. I then binded it on the neckline by sewing on the rest of the old waist band.
The top was finished (well apart from hemming the sleeves)
For the skirt I used the very last pieces of my stash material to make a hip band to attach the skirt to.
The skirt part of the dress was finished!
I then attached the skirt to the top and I now have a drop waisted dress. I also still have enough material from the skirt to make a top, which I am going to do asap xx