Finally Something to Show!
slowly but surely

Vest in progress

Img_1009_5
My goal for this weekend was to make a vest with a skirt that was to big for me (yea!).  It wasn't, however, big enough to make the front and back.  So I added a cord skirt that I had made that was also to big for me and didn't fit well.  And then I needed a lining so I went exploring in my stash and found this:

Img_1010_3 Sorry about the picture being sideways....

This is a vest that I made 5 or 6 years ago with the same pattern I had just used to cut my vest pieces out of.  It had ended up in the stash because it was too light of a fabric to fit me well.  So then I thought, why not use the plaid as a lining, why not make the vest reversible?  So off to the sewing machine I went to sew all the edges together, thinking now I need to come up with binding.   

Of course, it wasn't that easy.  The vests were different sizes (seam allowances I suppose).  So I sewed them together and trimmed off the extra fabric.  And it still didn't fit right in the front.  I decided that the bottom of this pattern just doesn't work for me.  So I cut it off:

Img_1110

Much better.  Of course, I now have to decide what to do with the bottom.  I'm thinking a ruffle with some black velvet I have in my stash.  And several small buttons spaced close together for a closure.

It will have to wait until next week though.  In the meantime, I was reminded about several things this morning.  One was that some patterns will just never work, even if they are a style that should.  Another thought is that I really need to think about the weight of the fabrics I pick out and how they might be used.  And another thought was that my muse is a risk taker and really should think ahead more often. Hmm... maybe not, maybe it leads to more creative paths. 

Comments