Here is another vest I made for my son.
It is made from six men's gray wool suits that that I cut apart and washed. You can see they were varying shades of gray with some plaids and stripes. Then I cut them into 2.5 inch wide strips. From the strips, I cut pieces 2 - 8 inches long. I randonmly sewed them together until I had "new fabric" large enough to make the vest fronts. Next, I randomly stitched lines using many colors of thread. The lines tend to meader down the fabric. It was a great way to use up odd colors of thread. I also used some gray and black thread to help create more texture. It was amazing how long it took to sew all the lines. I watched an entire movie while stitching. Here is a close up of the stitching.
The back of the vest and the vest lining was made from the lining of the gray suits. The buttons came from my stash of salvaged buttons.
He wears this vest with either his black suit, white shirt, and medium blue tie or with his gray sportcoat, black pants & shirt cranberry tie.
I was so pleased with how the "new fabric" turned out, I am now making more fabric. I am using darker threads for the stitching this time. I think I will make a jacket for myself.
Stay turned for more vests.
Pink Smoot - freezing in Fair Grove, MO