I have made a fabric cover for my old soft back English dictionary, I have re-enforced it with a bit of cardboard, so it can now take a bit of a bashing. The cover is entirely hand sewn from some material found at a charity shop.
Here are the step by step instructions to making it.
Time: 20 min with sewing machine, an hour by hand.
1. Choose a piece of fabric, preferably some sturdy material.
2. Place book on the material (the innerside), leaving a piece on each side slightly larger than a page in the book and a strip around 25mm at the top and the bottom. Draw a line around the book. Then take the book off the material.
3. To avoid the thread unravelling, zig-zag all the way around your piece of fabric..
4. Place book inside of your drawn line. Fold side pieces in over the book and secure the material with needles. Remove the book.
5. Sew the cover together, sewing a line from left to right at the bottom and the top of the cover.
6. Turn the cove inside out and place book in cover. Your are now finished.