Something that most people are afraid to take on but I did it and taught a class.
The original pattern is McCall's Pattern 5142, the "Perfect Jean" by Palmer and Pletsch. I modified the pattern to make the rise lower in front and higher in back. This pair is made of dark wash stretch denim (pre-shrinking the denim was key).
There are a few more pictures of the Jeans I made for class on my Flickr site.
1950's dress. Eggshell blue stretch linen and vintage buttons.
Made using this pattern:
Close-up's of the scallops and buttons:
My sewing skills have improved so much over the past year, i've really impressed myself by making this dress, there were a lot of fiddly parts to it. Now onto the next dress.
This dress was first cut and sewn back in July... how embarrassing. I mucked up sewing the bodice to the skirt and so the zipper didn't fit in well. I finally got it ripped and resewn for Saturday, and also made a little bag to go with it - I quilted the material with the metallic spots to interfacing, then made a lined bag.
The dress fabric is from the local market and was £1 per metre - so even with the pattern and zip, it still cost me under a tenner. Hurrah!
I moved my blogs to Blogger Beta, only I didn't realise that as I was admin on this one, it moved too! So I apologise for stuffing anyone around until I figure out how to return to the old way!!!
I bought some beautiful ice blue fabric to make an evening jacket. I had real problems finding a jacket pattern I liked and one with armholes that fit perfectly. Using a retired bed sheet, I cut and sewed several jacket shells checking the armhole fit from different patterns. Finally, after three attempts, this pattern relic from the past fit the bill. Patterns can be priced as high as $15 dollars each...I don't know the exact year of this Butterick pattern, but it's marked at 75 cents!
I made several modifications to the pattern to get the look I wanted. I cropped the length, omitted the pockets, lengthened the sleeves, added a furry liner for warmth, and I added a 4" panel around the cropped bottom, curving it in the front for a tulip look.
When all was said and done, I was happy with the jacket. I wore it with a long black skirt and a pearl necklace to the opera, Carmen. For a more tailored look, next time I will add darts to the front and back to bring in the waist line a bit. If you'd like to read more, visit my blog, Project Girl.
Don't forget to recycle those sweaters!!!!
I drew up this pattern after being inspired by the $190 Eugenia Kim version. Mine is definately funkier, but I still like it.
I felted the sweater and cut four house-shaped panels (you know, like a square with a triangle on top for the roof.) I measured around my head and divided that by four to get the width for each panel. I sewed them together and added the brim from the ribbing of the sweater. The flower was made from two free-from flower shapes sewn together at the middle. This was definately quick-n-easy and I might make more for gifts.