After the bag saga, I really needed to make something fun and easy, so I thought I'd attempt to transform a boxy mens t-shirt into something wearable, as per Nicola's challenge. I have to admit to having a few t-shirts in a pile awaiting the refashion touch but this one needed lots of help. It was only $1.99 at savers, hardly worn, but had a big painted on logo on the back with a smaller one on the front. I decided to insert some fabric and cut away the printed t-shirt material rather than just patching. I quite like how the back turned out but I think the front is a little strange.
I'm pretty pleased with the neckline treatment and the edging in general. The neck I cut quite a bit wider and deeper, and then gathered before sewing a thin shaped band on. Once the gathers were released, you couldn't really see them, but it sits rather well I think. The band is a single unhemmed piece of material, and once top stitched, it curls over. A t-shirt I bought last year has this finish and I found it very easy to do. I finished the sleeves and the hem, which I shortened and shaped, this way too.