Last night I finished hand stitching the binding on the first quilt I ever started. I was so overcome with joy that I forced Kev to watch me make the final stitch then did a little happy dance around the room singing "It's finished, It's finished!".
I was pretty ambitious for a first quilt don't you think? It was started early 2007 so that means it has taken me 6 years to make. Leisl reminded me today that I bought the fabric for this quilt the first time we met in person, at a blog meet I had organised at Amitie Textiles with Justine!
It's HUGE! It fits the length of my queen size bed and falls half way to the floor on either side. That's one big quilt! It measures 230cm x 230cm and has 64 black and white squares. It did have another strip of 8 but I thought that would be too much and removed them. Maybe I can use them for pillows to match? Talking of pillows, I think this quilt deserves new bed linen don't you?
The fabrics are mostly from Amitie Textiles, some were given to me by generous friends and the black border is a plain cotton from Tessuti. The wadding is polyester, I usually like to use cotton or wool but I wanted a slightly squishy look for this quilt.
I believe the pattern is called Jenny's Flowers and was machine quilted by C.A. Quilter in Aspendale, I dropped the quilt off to Amitie and it was ready in a few days!
I'm very pleased to have crossed this project off my list. It has been a pleasure to make and I love it more now that I did back in 2007 when the idea for it popped into my head. And, although I broke Mrs. T's rule of 'finishing your first quilt before starting another' I'm sure she'll forgive me :) Luckily this means i'm free to start a new one! I have a Union Jack quilt to sew for Mia but before that I must sew one for my little nephew who should be making an appearance in April.