December is such a busy time for everyone so this year we had an early Christmas party...at Longrain!
Of course the past few weeks have been all about sewing a party frock for the occasion and this is what i came up with....
I'm incredibly pleased with how it turned out! Don't you just love it when a plan works and everything comes together just as it should?
I bought a remnant of the lace called 'I Spy Navy', i'd been eyeing it off for some time and pounced on it before it hit the remnant table. I then spent a lot of hours looking at pretty pictures of lace dresses on Pinterest and came across this one....
..and i fell in frock love! Patterns were spread out and searched through and i came up with the following mash up of patterns.
The bodice of the Burdastyle strapless teadress with the shape slightly altered,
and the front piece of the BurdaStyle Marie skirt. I moved the pleats and added an extra. The back of the skirt is straight.
Of course mixing patterns meant i needed to make a muslin and i'm so glad i did, there were some fitting alterations needed in the bodice.
I used a cotton/elastane under the lace (Barbados Oregano) and cut and sewed both fabrics as one. The dress is lined in a navy viscose (from the Fabric Store) and trimmed with a navy silk organza at the hem. The bodice is boned and i added a waist stay (which i had to undo towards the end of the meal) and i added inseam pockets.
I'll take some closer photos of the dress over the weekend to show you the details of the hem and the finish.
Edited to add some detailed photos...